Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stranded in the open sea

I know this post might come off a bit "dear diary", but, dear diary, I've been feeling glum. The new job is going well, but I can't stop thinking about how it's kinda fucked up that all this money budgeted for "Indigenous Australians" is actually going to fancy buildings and over-paid public servants in Canberra. I mean, you could feed an Aboriginal child well for a week with the money I make in one hour of sitting in a comfy chair in a warm office, researching stuff, typing stuff, drinking tea, chatting with co-workers, sneakly checking my facebook... I know I really shouldn't complain, and I guess my young, idealistic self is simply discovering the absurdity of bureaucracy, but still, it gets you down... It also kind of motivates me to go out into the world and do something at least a tiny bit tangible.

I've been trying to get started on my thesis again. Really, I have. But I've kind of forgotten what it's about and don't really know where to begin. And really, the last thing I feel like after a long day at the office is more research and more typing. The first thing I feel like is Arrested Development. I think I want to marry George Michael Bluth. I just love his little shirts and the way he calls his grandparents "Pop-pop" and "Gangy"...


My firefox keeps on doing that annoying thing where it opens a "Find" box whenever I strike the apostrophe key. Ugh.

In other, more uplifting (superficial) news, this job has meant that I have finally been able to buy my three favourite albums of the year so far:

Beach House's Devotion


The Dodos' Visiter

Fleet Foxes' Self Titled
(featuring beautiful artwork by Pieter Bruegel the Elder)

Fleet Foxes - Quiet Houses (Mp3)

Fleet Foxes - Meadowlarks (Mp3)

The last two arrived in the mail today from Amazon with the following personal message - from the lovely gentleman friend who did the ordering - on the front:
maybe now you don't have to buy a boy from korea?
(which was, in fact, a response to this blog post)

I can only wonder what the postie must have thought...

NB: for more fabulous work from The Dodos and Fleet Foxes, see this post.

No comments: