Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kanako Sasaki, and a lament for the end of youth.


Tomorrow I enter the world of full time work. Tomorrow my six months of dreamy, goverment funded unemployment ends. And, to be honest, I'm a touch nervous. Plus, I'm just downright lazy and the thought of having to get up at 7:30am every morning makes me feel a little weepy. On top of all of that, the thought of somehow having to shuffle a 4000 word essay, and after that the first chapter of my thesis, around full time work while my dearest and nearest (including my two fellow millionaires) are off in Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia shopping at Top Shop and visiting my beloved Chatuchak market without me almost makes me wail.

This job is an amazing oppurtunity (not to mention the pay - much of which I've already spent pre-emptively) and one which I'm still pinching myself at having recieved. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for the real world yet, you know? I still feel like such a little girl. A lazy little girl, who enjoys sleeping in, daytime television and baking whenever she feels like it.

In an effort to procrastinate from said 4000 word essay, and to soothe my worrysome soul, I thought I would share some gorgeous images from Japanese photographer Kanako Sasaki. His works kind of remind me of Haruki Murakami's novels (if you haven't read any of them, you should. Start with The Wind Up Bird Chronical or Kafka on the Shore, or if you're pushed for time, his short stories), not because they're both Japanese, but because of something of the quiet mystery, and often almost surreal quality of these photographs, a quality which is also captured beautifully in Murakami's prose.


Yellow Leotard from the Wanderlust series

Morning from the Wanderlust Series

Angela, Wein, Austrial from the World of Groping Series

Ieva, Riga, Latvia from the World of Groping Series


Afternoon # 28 from the Test Height Size Series


Afternoon # 35 from the Test Height Size Series

Hapo2

No comments: