Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vegan Jaimie Reports: A Leek and Burghul Burger Story


Hey everyone! My name's Jaimie and this week I'm a vegan. This is a picture of me that my best friend Vanessa drew. She's a vegan this week too. She's also an artist. Vegan's are like natures super heroes. If they were on the TV show Heroes, the character who had vegan super powers would be able to read minds. Animal minds. And they'd have a beard that collects wisdom.




Oh hey Vanessa! Good job peeling those potatoes! She made some really delicious sweet potato and normal potato chips. I hate peeling potatoes.




Tonight I made Vanessa and my super cool house mate Tom leek and burghul burgers. These are the leeks I used. Yum! Leek! If vegan's had a police force, they would use leeks as batons. They look scary, but if used to hit someone/something, it wouldn't really hurt.





This is the burghul I used. I'd never heard of burghul until Monday when Vanessa made a really amazing Red Pepper soup for dinner. I had to soak it for 10 minutes in water. I hate waiting.





This is a picture of one of my leek and burghul patties. In this light it kind of looks like a meat patty. This is not a meat patty.


My recipe for this burger included:


  • 2x leeks, roughly chopped and sauteed until soft

  • 1 cup of burghul, soaked in 1 and a half cup of water for 10 minutes

  • red onion

  • some curry powder

  • Tabasco sauce

  • chili flakes

  • lemon juice

  • plain flour

I can't tell you how much of the above stuff went into it, because I cook with my heart and judge the quantities with my soul. I served the burgers with multi-grain toast, organic tomato, rocket and spicy red sauce. I was so excited when they were finished that I forgot to take a picture. I needed to show you guys though, so I created a non-bread burger version of my meal.




That J you can see stands for Jaimie. Master Jaimie.


This week rocks.


Xx


No comments: