Saturday, June 4, 2011

Set yourself a goal

At some point in the last year, I became a writer. I have no idea how this happened, I have never thought of myself as a very good writer despite having completed 4 years of an arts degree. I have also never thought that writing would be a huge part of my life once I finished uni, but that has definitely changed. Writing is by no means everything I do and I certainly still have a lot to learn, but I am really excited about doing so.

To set myself a challenge and help improve my writing skills, I have signed up for National Young Writers Month. To register for NYWM you have to set yourself a writing goal for the month of June, then with the support and encouragement of Express Media you will be able to achieve your goal.



My writing goals are:

~ Write 5 blog posts per week (considering I haven't done even one post for quite sometime will make this goal very interesting...prepare to be bombarded!)
~ Submit one journal article
~ Write reviews/thoughts etc about every exhibition I attend during June

What I love about this idea is that the scope of who qualifies as a "writer" is so broad and inclusive. You can be a novelist, journalist, poet, blogger, government policy writer, editor, playwright, scriptwriter for film or TV, copywriter and I'm sure I've missed some out. It is a great incentive to challenge yourself and accomplish some goals you may have been putting off for awhile.

Hopefully by posting this I will feel even more bound to achieve my goals, since I have expressed them into the ether. Good luck to everyone and if you haven't already, sign up for NYWM here.

No comments: