Thursday, April 29, 2010
I was doing my usual procrastination thing this evening of face-stalking anyone and everyone, when my exploits lead me to this diamond in the rough (in the rough, in the rough.... anyone get that Aladdin reference? No?).
Cute Boys With Cats is a Tumblr put together by some kind of genius who decided that "there is a serious shortage of pictures of cute boys with cats".
Agreed. And you genius lady, have made my week.
Monday, April 26, 2010
But my day was made all the better by the discovery of this hilarious scarf, sent to me by my sister.
Click to enlarge, you won't regret it.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Monday, April 19, 2010
A friend, more, or less? Huntley, IL
The guy's a jerk. I know that won't discourage you from liking him, but he's got a major personality flaw: disrespecting you. Be careful of this kind of butthead, because his sleaze behavior may rub off on you, and then your life will become more and more hellish. Next time you're alone with him and he tries to get "friendly," tell him your friend Thurston Moore wants to kick his ass. And then tell him why.Read it all here.
via style rookie
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Wow, I knew I wasn't on form last year in terms of being up to date with new music, but how the hell did I miss Fever Ray?!
Karin Dreijer Andersson (aka the chick from the Knife) released her debut solo album last year under the name 'Fever Ray'. It's freaking BRILLIANT! Incredibly dark in places but with the unmistakable electronic sounds of the Knife circa 'Deep Cuts'.
Also, did you know that Karin Dreijer Andersson was also the vocalist in one of my other favourite Swedish bands 'Honey is Cool'? I didn't. Amazing! ALSO, did you know the Knife are bringing 'Tomorrow, in a year' to Australia in October? AMAZING!
As far as I am concerned, she can do no wrong.
These clips are up there with my favourite music videos ever. Though, be warned. They're a little dark...
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Unlike my dear chum Jaimie, I willingly take winter as a lover, year after year after year. While I acknowledge that the frostiest season has it's drawbacks - namely waking up in the morning with a numb nose and the ensuing battle to get out of bed - I find, that with the right attitude and a bit of foresight, winter can actually be rather charming in his old brown coat, threadbared woolen scarf and whiskey breath. Here's how to enjoy your inevitable yearly winter experience:
1. Buy yourself a decent coat, some warm socks, gloves, thick stockings and woolen items you can easily layer. I truly believe that the biggest problem with winter in Canberra is that people can't quite justify splurging on quality, warm items because it isn't quite cold enough for long enough, so no one wears enough clothes and everyone complains constantly for three months. DO NOT let this be you, doll faces! DO NOT be like one of those ridiculous mini-skirted girls teetering outside a dodgy nightclub in a state of frozen stupor. Snuggle yourself up like a fattened rabbit and make everyone else jealous.
2. During autumn (AKA NOW!), prepare your home for winter hibernation. Clean everything thoroughly, organise and throw a bunch of stuff out. Make sure every nook has plenty of blankets and cushions for snuggling, restock your tea cupboard with lots of tasty varieties for sipping, and amalgamate a collection of books for cozy winter reading. You'll probably spend a lot more time in-doors, so make home a place you'll love to be.
3. Also during autumn, plant some beautiful bulbs in pots by your front door so you have something to look forward to in spring.
4. Appreciate the fact that, at least in Canberra, we still get plenty of sunlight in winter. Whenever you can, find a spot in full sun, and soak up the toasty rays of light with a cup of tea, a blanket and a good book. I promise this will make you happy.
5. Buy or pick fresh, beautiful flowers for your home whenever you can.
6. Spend a lot of time reflecting on the miserable, sleepless nights of last summer and the lack of motivation you felt to do anything at all. Take solace in the fact that cold is far more easily escaped than heat, and bury yourself under your doona or soak in a steaming bath for hours.
7. Learn to knit. It's pretty easy, and once you get the hang of it, it's something creative and productive you can do while watching questionable television and avoiding the cold. Or paint, draw, make friendship bands...
8. If you start to feel a little claustrophobic, rug yourself up in zillions of layers and go for a brisk evening walk. Breath in the cold, refreshing air and enjoy the rustic smell of woodsmoke, before rushing home for a hot chocolate or a milky chai.
9. Cook yourself delicious, wholesome, hearty winter food. A deep, dark mushroom stew, a zesty tomato soup, loaf of artisan style bread, pumpkin scones. Bake your blues away, and bask in the added warmth that comes from a blisteringly hot oven.
10. Buy (or make) yourself a wheat pack. Warm it up and take it to bed with you every night. If winter doesn't become your lover, one of these darlings just might. xx
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Dear Tyler from that L.A youth hostel,
I'm sorry I didn't find you before I went to Hawaii. You were my saviour. I was embarrassed. I hope you become a successful musician. Maybe you will write a song about me and your new love for cute Australian girls. You were lovely.
Dear Sigur Ros boy,
I wish I'd had enough courage to come and get that bootleg from you. You were adorable.
Dear Russian/ hot hair boy,
Red pants was a mistake. I still think you're cute.
Dear Strokes boy,
*Sigh* I miss you. You were a charming fantasy.
Fuck you for leaving me. I refuse to take Winter as a lover.
Dear amazing man in Tak Kee at Dickson tonight,
You walked in all amazing looking, smiled at me and then sat down to eat by yourself, content with your ipod for company. You are amazing. You practically winded me with your perfection. From that look you gave me, I think we both know where this is heading.
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
If I had enough money I'd buy you an androgynous trumpet player.
Oh! Is that Chuck Bass retardedly hiding something from you?
Chuck.... Give it to Vanessa.....
Come on Chuck...
Oh. Dear God!
That mother chucker got you a BIRTHDAY BURGER!!!!
Love you bestie!